The UK Hand Knitting Association (UKHKA) is a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to promoting hand knitting and associated yarn crafts.
We have developed a nationwide network of volunteers who pass on their skills to encourage newcomers to learn to knit or crochet at craft shows and other events across the UK.
The UKHKA Board Members are major distributors of yarn and related products in the UK.
Facts & Figures
- The number of Knitting Groups on www.ukhandknitting.com April 2015 is 559
- In Google’s Top 10 “How-to” Searches of 2014 Crochet came in at number 3 and knitting at number 5.
- Many celebrities enjoy picking up their pins including:
Meryl Streep, Ella Henderson, Andrew Flintoff, , Nicholas Hoult, Ryan Gosling, Charlize Theron Amanda Seyfried (Les Mis/Mamma Mia film), Harry Styles, Birgitte Hjort Sørensen (Danish actress), Bill Drummond (artist & music producer), Jenny Éclair. Cara Delevinge (model), Mia Wasikowska, Jo Brand, Annie Lennox, Tori Spelling, Diva Zappa, Scarlett Johannson, Debra Messing (Will and Grace), Jimmy Hill, Muslim Shabaz (Big Brother), Kimberley Stewart (Rod's daughter), Tracey Ullman, Kate Holmes, Laurence Fishburne, David Arquette, Uma Thurman, Kate Moss, Hilary Swank, Cameron Diaz, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kate Moss, Winona Ryder, Uma Thurman, Brooke Shields, Lily Allen, Madonna, Julia Roberts
- John Lewis department store sold enough yarn to go around the world twice in 2014
- Craft skills (which include Knit/Crochet) contribute £3.4 billion to the economy, according to research that measures the economic impact of thousands of small craft businesses in the UK.
- The UK Hand Knitting Association now estimates the number of knitters and crocheters in the UK to be 7.5 million
- The UK Hand Knitting Association is a charitable organisation dedicated to promoting the crafts of knitting and crochet through a variety of activities.
UK Hand Knitting Association Knitting Patterns
These patterns have been created by the member companies and proceeds go towards funding UK Hand Knitting activities such as our “learn to knit” stands a yarn shows.
Click here to browse and buy our patterns online.
UKHKA patterns are available from retailers throughout the UK. Please contact individual UK Hand Knitting members
for a list of their retail stockists in your area.
Occasionally problems do occur. If you believe there is an error in you pattern please see below for a full list of corrections.